Senior Research Associate
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Telephone: (+88 02) 8124770, 9143326, 9126402
Fax: (+88 02) 8130951
Climate change, Quantitative economics, International trade.
Master of Science(M.S.) in Agricultural & Applied Economics (CGPA: 3.48), University of Wyoming, WY, USA.
Thesis Title:Agricultural Land-Use in a Changing Climate: Implications for Waterfowl Habitat in Prairie Canada.
Major Advisors: Benjamin S. Rashford and Christopher T. Bastian.
Master of Social Science (M.S.S.) in Economics (First Class-Converted CGPA: 3.95), University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Bachelor of Social Science(B.S.S.)Hons.in Economics (First Class-Converted CGPA: 3.85), University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- 2013-present Senior Research Associate, Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD), Bangladesh.
- 2011-2013 Graduate Research Assistant, University of Wyoming, WY, USA.
- 2010-2011 Senior Research Associate, Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD), Bangladesh.
- 2008-2010 Research Associate, Centre for Policy Dialogue(CPD), Bangladesh.
Awards & Honors
- 2003-2004 Dhaka University Merit Scholarship for outstanding performance in B.S.S.
- 2004-2005 Dhaka University Merit Scholarship for outstanding performance in M.S.S.
- 2013 Agricultural & Applied Economics Graduate Student Travel Grant, University of Wyoming.
- 2013 Western Agricultural Economics Association Graduate Travel Fellowship.
- 2011 “Impact of the Doha Round Negotiation on Bangladesh Agriculture: An Analysis of the Revised Draft Modalities” (with Uttam Deb),Journal of International Trade Policy and Law, Vol. 10,No.2, pp.104-123. *The Article received theEmerald Literati Network 2012 Award for Excellence.
- 2009 “Impact of Current WTO Agricultural Negotiation for Bangladesh: A Simulation Exercise” (with Kazi Mahmudur Rahman and Suparna Hasan), Journal of Socioeconomic Research and Development, Volume 6, Issue 1.
- 2009 “Higher BoroRice Production for Food Security: An Integrated Strategy” (with Uttam Deb, Nafisa Khaled, Subir Bairagi and Ashiqun Nabi), Pages 305-365, in Development of Bangladesh with Equity and Justice. Dhaka: CPD.
- 2012 “Agricultural Trade between Bangladesh and India: An Analysis of Trends, Trading Patterns and Determinants”(with Mustafizur Rahman, Mazbahul Golam Ahamad, and Nazrul Islam),CPD-CMI Working Paper 3,available at http://www.cpd.org.bd/pub_attach/CPD_CMI_WP3.pdf.
- 2010 “Current State of Doha Round Negotiations on Agriculture: Issues, Concerns and Strategies for Bangladesh” (with Uttam Deb), CPD Occasional Paper No. 85, available athttp://www.cpd.org.bd/pub_attach/op85.pdf
- 2010 “Achieving Boro Rice Production Targets in FY2009-10: Challenges and Actions Required”(with Uttam Deb, SubirKantiBairagi, NafisaKhaled,MazbahulGolamAhamed,KanizTasnima), CPD Occasional Paper No. 87, available at http://www.cpd.org.bd/pub_attach/op87.pdf
- 2009 “Impact of Information Technology in Trade Facilitation on Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises in Bangladesh”(with Syed SaifuddinHossain and Uttam Deb), Working Paper No. 76, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT).http://www.artnetontrade.org/
- 2009 “Prospects of Economic Cooperation in the Bangladesh, China, India and Myanmar Region: A Quantitative Assessment”(with TariqurRahman), Working Paper No. 73, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT),http://www.artnetontrade.org/
- 2012 “Integrating Economics and Ecology to Model Land-Use Impacts on Waterfowl Habitat in Prairie Canada” (with Benjamin Rashford and Chris Bastian), Study Report, submitted to Ducks Unlimited Canada and Institute for Wetland and Waterfowl Research.
- 2011 “Vulnerability to Climate Change in Bangladesh: A Quantitative Assessment” (with Nazrul Islam,MazbahulGolamAhamed, and NusratJahan), Study Report 3, submitted to the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), India.
- 2011 “Changes in General Climatic Characteristics in Bangladesh: Special Reference to Flood and Drought-Prone Areas” (with Uttam Deb, Nazrul Islam, Ashiqun Nabi, and Mazbahul Golam Ahamed), Study Report 2, submitted to the ICRISAT, India.
- 2010 “Climate Change Adaptation Strategies and Layers of Resilience: A Comparative Study of Perceptions and Capacities of Selected Villages in Bangladesh” (with Uttam Deb, Nazrul Islam,NafisaKhaled, Mazbahul Golam Ahamed and Ashiqun Nabi), Study Report 1, submitted to the ICRISAT, India.
- 2013 “Vulnerability to Climate Change: Adaptation Strategies & Layers of Resilience-Mainstreaming Grassroots Level Adaptation and Building Climate Resilient Agriculture in Bangladesh”(with Uttam Deb, MazbahulGolamAhamad, Nazrul Islam, NafisaKhaled, AshiqunNabi, Cynthia Bantilan, Naveen Singh), ICRISAT Policy Brief No. 21, ICRISAT, India.
- 2013 “Agricultural Land-Use in a Changing Climate: Implications for Waterfowl Habitat in Prairie Canada” (with Benjamin Rashford, Christopher Bastian, and David Aadland), presented in Western Agricultural Economics Association Annual Meeting, Monterrey, California, USA.
- 2009 “Impact of the Doha Round Negotiation on Bangladesh Agriculture: An Analysis of the Current Agricultural Draft Modalities” presented on the in house seminar at Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD).
- 2009 “Climate Change in Bangladesh: Implications for Rice Research and Development” (with Uttam Deb), presented in a special conference on climate change titled “Climate Change and Bangladesh Development Strategy: Domestic Tasks and International Cooperation”, Dhaka.
- 2009 “Commodity Exchange Market: Its Requisites”, the Daily Star. http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=79831
Professional Development Activities
- 2011 Completed a short course on “Input-Output Analysis, Social Accounting Matrix and CGE Modeling”, organized by the CPD and the CMI, Bangladesh.
- 2010 Participant, “Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT) Capacity Building Workshop for Trade Research: Gravity Modeling” organized by the UNESCAP, held at Bogor, Indonesia.
- 2010 Completed a short course on “Cropping System Models” offered by ICRISAT, Indiaandthe University of Florida, USA.
- 2009 Completed a postgraduatecertificate program on “Trade Policy and Commercial Diplomacy”offered by the Centre for Trade Policy and Law (CTPL), Carleton University,Ottawa, Canada.
- 200 Participant, “ARTNeTCapacity Building Workshop for Trade Research” organized by the UNESCAP and WTOheld at Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
IT &Language Skills
- Statistical AnalysisSoftware: Stata,SAS
- General EquilibriumModeling Software: GAMS
- Partial Equilibrium Modeling Software: ATPSM
- Languages: Bengali (Native), English (Fluent)
Membership in Professional Societies
- AmericanAgricultural Economics Association
- Western Agricultural Economics Association
- Bangladesh Economics Association