Dr Debapriya Bhattacharya, Distinguished Fellow, Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD) and Convenor, Citizen’s Platform for SDGs, Bangladesh delivered seven lectures on Agenda 2030 and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) during November-December 2016 in Bangladesh. His lectures addressed specific constituencies, including high-level government officials, private sector leaders, members of university faculty, media persons and students. Themes that were commonly covered in his lectures included:
- The need to align the SDGs not only with national plans and policies, but also with the budgetary allocation process.
- The need to operationalise the multi-stakeholder approach nationally in implementation and management, as well as follow-up and review of the Agenda.
- The need to address in the context of the global agenda, the systemic concerns of global economic governance relating to finance, trade, climate change and technological progress.
The seven lectures by Dr. Debapriya, also Chair of the Southern Voice on Post-MDG’s network, were presented at the following platforms:
- On 19 November 2016 at a Course for Platform Partners on “2030 Agenda: Framework Issues and Implementation Challenges,” organised by Citizen’s Platform for SDGs, Bangladesh and CPD.
- On 21 November 2016 at the “Advanced Course on Administration and Development”, organised by Bangladesh Public Administration Training Centre (BPATC).
- On 23 November at a national seminar on “Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): Challenges of Implementation in Bangladesh,” organised by the North South University (NSU) and CPD.
- On 26 November at the monthly lecture of the Reading Club, a forum of students of the University of Dhaka.
- On 10 December a Course for the journalists on “LDC Graduation in the context of the SDGs Achievements,” organised by the CPD.
- On 18 December at a workshop for media persons on “SDGs and South Asia,” organised by the Inter Press Service (IPS) and the United Nations Foundation.
- On 21 December as the keynote speaker at the session “Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) 2030,” organised by the Dhaka Chamber of Commerce and Industry (DCCI).